Information for Members

Our Policy

Members of the Mission Peak Wind Symphony will improve through regular habits of practice and daily progress. Responsibility is the focus behind any level of achievement within this program. Each member will develop a high sense of purpose toward which he or she is willing to work, and conduct themselves in a manner that will facilitate learning and excellence of all members.

Our Objectives

  • To teach music by its actual performance.
  • To develop performance skills on the various wind and percussion instruments.
  • To provide for the musical needs of the members and the community at large.
  • To develop discrimination with regard to the selection of music.
  • To provide all members with the opportunity for worthy use of their time, a means for self-expression, and a healthy social experience.
  • To develop the ability to function as a responsible member of a group, enhance interaction, and develop esprit de corps.
  • To foster leadership skills within each member.

Members Forum

All members are invited to attend a weekly “Members Forum” which meets an hour before rehearsal. We hope that this forum will advance our objective to develop qualities of good leadership and to take pride in ownership of this program for their benefit. This informal meeting is an opportunity to share ideas and feedback on the program with each other and the Music Director. Participants will learn skills for effective leadership within the program and beyond. Participation is optional.

Member Responsibilities

To Ourselves

You are responsible for developing your own abilities. What you put into our program is what you will get out of it. The director is always available to guide and encourage you—you just have to ask.

To Music

Music has always been a part of our culture; musicians use it for the betterment of that culture. No one expects you to be virtuoso musicians, only to do the very best you of which you are capable. Gustav Mahler once said that only 10 percent of a piece of music is on the page. If this is true, we as musicians have the duty of creating and producing the other 90 percent. The joy of music is not in everything that is apparent. It must be discovered and created—by you.

To Each Other

Respect each other and do what is best for the welfare of the group. Resolve conflicts constructively, and never insult another member’s integrity.

To the Symphony

The Mission Peak Wind Symphony provides the resources for rehearsals, performances, and equipment. The program directors provide a support network financially, administratively, and philosophically. You have the responsibility to contribute to our community through achieving Our Objectives stated above.

Importance of Attitude

Members are expected to discipline themselves to practice fundamentals daily. Sincerity, concentration, and dedication to their craft are the foundations of the right attitude and make an artistic performance inevitable. Attitude is the difference between an outstanding organization and a mediocre group. The symphony can do much for you—make the most of your time in every rehearsal and performance.

School Music Classes and Private Lessons

Diligent practice and discipline increases the enjoyment with the instrument whether in a class or with private lessons. The Mission Peak Wind Symphony is not intended to replace the music programs offered at a student’s school or private lessons. Rather, our goal is to provide the opportunity for interested students to enhance their musical education. We therefore strongly encourage all students to enroll in their school’s music programs and to take private lessons.

Member Duties

  1. Be on time to all rehearsals and performances. Early is on time—on time is late.
  2. Be in your seat, warmed up, and ready to begin on time.
  3. Do not eat or drink (except water) in the band room.
  4. Do not chew gum during rehearsals.
  5. When the director steps to the podium or asks for your attention, please stop talking and give him your attention.
  6. No excess playing (e.g., horsing around on the instrument); only good, solid material.
  7. When rehearsal ends, put all materials in their proper place.
  8. Take responsibility for your actions, and admit when you are wrong.
  9. Respect yourself, your peers, and those in authority.
  10. Respect the director, guests, and other members, including their personal property and equipment.
  11. Read and play music with insight—have musical expectations.
  12. Attend all rehearsals and performances. If there is a situation preventing this, please let the music director know as soon as possible.